RTM Asia delivered 50% YoY revenue growth and achieved the number 1 market share position for MindMapping software in Japan.
The RTM Asia team’s deep knowledge of the Japanese market and their extensive channel and media relationships have enabled us to quickly expand our business and solidify our position of a leader in the Japan Mind Mapping market. Throughout the engagement, the RTM Asia team has executed as a seamless extension to the Mindjet organization, managing all aspects of our Japan business and freeing us to concentrate on building great product and growing our other markets.
Two million individuals, small businesses and Fortune 500® companies using Mindjet understand that working visually and collaboratively brings results. We set the standard in mind mapping and now our focus is to provide collaborative work management solutions that dramatically improve how people can work better together, accomplish goals more successfully and be more productive. Seventy-two percent of the Fortune 500 and forty-seven of BusinessWeek®’s “The World’s 50 Most Innovative Companies” rely on Mindjet to see the big picture – let us show you too. For more information about Mindjet, visit: www.mindjet.com
Established in the mid-1990’s, Mindjet had established itself as the leader in the mind mapping and interactive visual collaboration market in the US, key countries across Europe and had begun selling a localized version of its flagship Mind Manager product in Japan, the 2nd largest software market in the world. With only a handful of niche resellers targeting a small subset of Japanese and no direct presence, Mindjet’s challenge was how to rapidly grow their product penetration in the Japanese market by establishing a well recognized brand, broadening their distribution channel and differentiating themselves as the leader in the Mind Mapping market space.
Mindjet engaged RTM Asia in May of 2007 to assist in the establishment of their Japan business entity and accelerate their revenue growth in Japan, initiating a comprehensive sales, marketing and operations outsourcing relationship where RTM Asia assumed responsibility of Mindjet’s Japan business expansion including strategic planning, product support, partnership development as well as all sales and marketing activities. As part of the engagement, RTM Asia quickly assembled a high caliber team of professionals with a range of experience in the Japanese software market and extensive channel relationships, rapidly expanding Mindjet’s distribution outlets to include the Softbank and Marubeni, the two largest software and I.T distributors in Japan as well as expanding the market awareness of Mindjet’s products via extensive local media coverage and visibility in key retail and online channels such as BIC Camera, Yodabashi and Amazon Japan.
WHAT WE PROVIDED
RTM Asia provided a comprehensive set of market expansion services to Mindjet. The scope of the work performed included:
- An extensive market entry analysis and cost assessment. Comprehensive competitive analysis and timely reporting of market trends
- Creation of a detailed market entry plan, budgets and executive presentations
- Creation of a new set of marketing collateral, retail boxes and packaging specifically suited for Japan. Contracted outsourced retail package manufacturer and day-to-day management of this relationship and overall production activities
- Channel partner screening, recruiting, contract negotiations and day-to-day management of channel partners
- Deployment of a fully outsourced sales and technical staff dedicated to the client’s business
- RTM Asia Executive management of the Mindjet Japan team
- Coordination of executive visits, press conferences, marketing events, exhibitions, campaigns and leads
- Local language website development assistance and advice, including a complete revamp and upgrade of the Japanese website and online transaction capability
- Strategic marketing services including channel marketing planning and execution, MDF and rebate programs as well as management of PR and corporate marketing strategy
- Virtual office, staffing and bookkeeping services
- Assisted in implementation of systems and IT infrastructure in the Japan office
- Company formation, tax and legal document filings with the authorities
- Fully outsourced business management including all staff, business entities, channel and customer relationships
By leveraging RTM Asia’s services, Mindjet was able to rapidly accelerate their Japan business growth, establishing a subsidiary in Japan, signing several new strategic distribution partnerships and putting in place a seasoned sales and marketing team within months of the engagement. As a result, in the first year of RTM Asia’s involvement, revenue in Japan grew more than 50% over the previous year, establishing Mindjet as the clear leader in Japan’s Mind Mapping software industry. In subsequent years, RTM Asia enabled Mindjet to further expand the penetration of its Mind Mapping product in mainstream enterprise usage, continually expanding Mind Manager’s role as a key productivity enhancer in Japanese businesses.