RTM Asia delivered an average quarterly revenue growth rate of 127% and increased website traffic by 310% in just 9 months.
VP, Sales and Business
The RTM Asia team has worked as a seamless extension of the TechSmith organization—they fit right in with our culture and processes. Engaging with RTM Asia is like turning on a tap and instantly getting an experienced and highly professional team of sales and marketing executives on the ground with established business connections in Japan. More importantly, working with RTM Asia helped us to quickly achieve better distribution and significantly increased revenues.
Founded in 1987, TechSmith Corporation provides practical business and academic software tools and services. TechSmith solutions enable users to capture, record and enhance digital content from their computer screens so they can share information and knowledge in compelling multimedia formats, and allow others to observe, analyze and learn from their experiences. TechSmith products are used by 99 percent of the Fortune 500. Visit www.TechSmith.com for more information.
As the second largest economy in the world, Japan has always been a strategically important market to TechSmith. When TechSmith’s sole distributor for Japan underwent major restructuring in 2008, TechSmith was naturally concerned about the ongoing growth of its product portfolio in this important market.
TechSmith engaged RTM Asia in August of 2008 to assist in the assessment of its Japan business and customer base, future market potential as well as the development of strategies to accelerate growth for TechSmith’s family of products in the Japan market.
During the initial phase of the market assessment, RTM Asia recommended that TechSmith establish a wholly owned subsidiary in Japan and expand its base of channel partners to acquire coverage in then untapped industries such as the academic and large enterprise markets.
Impressed with both RTM Asia’s understanding of the Japanese market and the extensive channel relationships that the RTM Asia team had developed over the years, TechSmith’s management decided to work with RTM Asia to manage its Japan business operations (including sales, marketing and in-country management functions).
WHAT WE PROVIDED
RTM Asia provided a comprehensive set of market entry and turnkey business management services to TechSmith. The scope of the work performed included:
- Creation of detailed market entry plan, TAM analysis and channel structure recommendations
- Channel partner screening, recruiting, contract negotiations and day-to-day management of channel partners
- Deployment of a fully outsourced sales and marketing staff dedicated to the client’s business
- Creation of a new line of retail packaging, getting the product manufactured and recruiting the distribution network to sell the new retail products
- Day-to-day RTM Executive Management of TechSmith’s Japan business
- Coordination of executive visits, press conferences, marketing events, campaigns and leads. Local language website development and management
- Quarterly marketing plan development and execution in cooperation with TechSmith’s world wide marketing team
- Virtual office, staffing and bookkeeping services
- Company formation, tax and legal document filings with the authorities
By leveraging RTM Asia’s services, TechSmith was able to expand distribution and awareness and achieve average quarterly revenue growth rates of 127% in their Japan business during 2009. In addition to the sales growth, press coverage has increased significantly with nearly 40 positive articles written about TechSmith in the second half of 2009 alone. Additionally TechSmith did their first in-country product launch of the SnagIt 9 product in Japan.
By 2010, RTM Asia helped TechSmith Japan establish a solid channel base of tier one resellers as well as achieve broad coverage of the market through large and financially stable distributors such as Softbank and Marubeni. Furthermore, the techsmith.co.jp website has increasingly popular with unique visit growth of 310% in the past 9 months, resulting in an unprecedented amount of product downloads.